Roadside patrols

*********Hi Welcome to Roadside Patrol Forums*********

Welcome to the Rac Patrol Forum, we are a forum run by Rac Patrols for Rac Patrols, we have no ties with the company and are totally independent from all.

To gain full access to the forum you will first need to send a PM to the Admin, instructions on how to do this is in the first post in the welcome section.

We look forward to seeing you on the forum.

Thank you

Forum for RAC Staff

: RAC

WANT TO JOIN THE FORUM? THEN PM ME (ADMIN) FOR A SECURITY QUESTION ONLY ONCE YOU ANSWER THIS DO YOU GET FULL ACCESS TO THE RAC STAFF SECTIONS

B+E licence ?

Rob1984

B+E licence ?

Post  Rob1984 on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 8:29

Hi ive been invited to an assessment interview day. My licence does not entitle me to tow. Will this effect my chances or is this something I would be put through if successful ? Thanks !
    soothsayer

Re: B+E licence ?

Post  soothsayer on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 10:08

No it won't, they will give you a chance to pass the towing test, I think you get two or three attempts. BUT! think carefully before joining us, it isn't close to being the job they sell to you. It's mainly sell sell sell and tow to approved garages, coupled to rubbish shift rosters and up to 30 weekends working, think hard before joining.
    Rob1984

Post  Rob1984 on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 11:14

Thanks for ur info. So if im accepted i then go through 2 or 3 weeks training ? Is that right. Are you a paid employee when u start training ? and do you have to pass the trailer test in this time? Sorry for all the questions.
    Thanks
    muggins

Post  muggins on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 11:22

The thing is though theres 20 lads in our team now that moan their ass off daily (me included) and have done for the last 5 years not one of us has left .
    It scares the shit out of me to back to a dealership working 40 hours for shit money .
    Sell a battery some oil and get an upgrade and thats it .
    muggins

Post  muggins on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 11:24

Rob1984 wrote:Thanks for ur info. So if im accepted i then go through 2 or 3 weeks training ? Is that right. Are you a paid employee when u start training ? and do you have to pass the trailer test in this time? Sorry for all the questions.
    Thanks
    I did 3 weeks training in Bescot when i started with pay .
    Mr Blue Sky

Post  Mr Blue Sky on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 12:11

A young new recruit down this way has failed the trailer test twice now so is working with no trailer in the van.

I think i'm right in saying the co want him to pay for his next test...
    Rob1984

Post  Rob1984 on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 12:39

Thanks. Any tips for assessment day. What to expect?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 13:02

Rob1984 wrote:Thanks. Any tips for assessment day. What to expect?
    Do your homework on Common Rail Diesel wiring and other electrical systems ...You need to be familier with the wiring diagrams ...God knows why we never usually get that deep at the roadside but that is the kind of stuff they are using as a benchmark to see if you are up to the job

Good luck by the way and its not a bad job some of us just dont like the way its going but that seem to be the way for every job these days

I started out with nothing and still got most of it left.

Running
    Rob1984

Post  Rob1984 on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 13:11

Yeah heard mixed reviews from people doing it already. Just looking to get out of 9-5 dealer environment and hopefully a bit less stressfull !
    Rob1984

Post  Rob1984 on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 14:53

What is the situation with holidays ? How many do you get and can you get off what you want without much hastle?
    Kermit

Post  Kermit on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 16:29

Rob1984 wrote:What is the situation with holidays ? How many do you get and can you get off what you want without much hastle?
    HOLIDAYS no Hassle Ha Ha Ha .

We get 3 weeks Block leave we have just put those dates in this week for end of March 2014- end of march 2015

We then get 20 days ish floating leave which is an absolute joke to try to book. mostly refused this year unless I could find someone to work my shift on overtime.....
    CAR

Location : Bit the bullet and off to pastures new, fingers crossed eh.

Post  CAR on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 17:39

If your looking for less stress mate this isn't the way.
    It has a big affect on your home life and ability to do a lot of the normal things families do, personally if I had my time again I'd get out of the motor trade full stop.
    Justam69

Post  Justam69 on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 18:19

Dude I would sit down and think hard !

The job has changed since I started big time it's nothing like they say it is, holidays you can forget them as you book your block leave only to be told too many off then you shift it and then get some you don't want ?

If you got kids then be prepared to miss out on them growing up a very large proportion of time you will be at work !

There are more downs than ups right now so just take heed ! .

Ideal candidate at the mo is .......

Single bloke ,no kids, no woman, no friends, loves working all hours, hates being at home, loves to travel and getting home way past shift finish oh and bleeds orange when cut ! . You get my drift ?

I could go on but it's your decision in the end !

Best of luck what ever you decide .
    Rob1984

Post  Rob1984 on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 18:47

Jeezo. No ones really painting a good picture of the job are you!? Think ill head to the assessment day and see wot its all about. Do you get a choice of shifts to do or told what u are doing? Is pay an hourly rate ? Any personal mileage allowed in the van? Ive no kids and work alot of hrs anyway so might not be as bad. Thanks for all your input !
    rrrrr

Post  rrrrr on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 18:58

take no notice rob 1984 they are all winding you up youll love the job
    holidays when you want,no stress,no pressure,as much overtime as you want
    plenty of weekends off and shifts to suit you monies fab too !!!!!!!!!!
    i personally took voluntary redundancy last year dont know why ive regretted every day since

bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum hide 

NOT
    Rest Day Sacrificer

Post  Rest Day Sacrificer on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 19:01

ROB 1984--.One thing I have learned working for the RAC,is the PATROLS are like brothers.We are being honest with you,and we wont dress this job up if it is shite.Honestly Rob,now is not a good time to join RAC.Shifts are not family,health or body clock friendly at all at the moment.shifts can vary from 7-8-9-10-11-12 hour shifts,any days of the week,between the hours of 7am to midnight,and ranging from 6 0n 1 off,3 on 2 off.its a lottery mate.Think hard,very hard mate before you sell your soul to RAC.Oh and the pay is crap now,compared to what it used to be before we were fucked over by future working arrangements(PAY-CUT).and the pension is also crap mate.Sorry,but this is the truth.Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad .1st chance I get,im off.Door Door Door 
    Mr Blue Sky

Post  Mr Blue Sky on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 19:14

My honest advice is this,as a long term career the RAC/AA is a dead in the water.

If you are young with only your 'dick' to look after then come on down work your arse off  doing 12hr shifts,six on one off and the management will love you.

(Oh as long as you can do a job an hour including travel time,sell 12+ over priced batteries a month,ditto oil as well).

Once you have filled your pockets @£45k+ a year for a couple of years do the right thing and WALK AWAY or the job will eat you up.
    racpat

Post  racpat on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 19:19

how did he get on a staff only forum?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 20:02

racpat wrote:how did he get on a staff only forum?
    This section is open as its for questions about joining ect he cant see the staff section

I started out with nothing and still got most of it left.

Running
    Justam69

Post  Justam69 on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 20:29

Have a go see for yourself but have a get out clause or a back up plan !
    Rob1984

Post  Rob1984 on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 20:32

So do you HAVE to sell so many of certain items a month? What happens if u dont ?
    Rest Day Sacrificer

Post  Rest Day Sacrificer on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 20:35

hide .Your beaten until you bleed by your SDM/PTM.Then your beaten again,again,again.bum bum bum 
    racpat

Post  racpat on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 20:44

you dont have to sell anything just offer what is needed,its then up to the member to say yes or no,
    Justam69

Post  Justam69 on Tue 15 Oct 2013 - 22:40

They expect you to sell !! whether its batteries, oil , wipers etc etc !

Their ideas and targets of how much you sell is over the top all you can do is check and offer !

If they buy they buy if they don't no worries you did your job just note it on the cars pad .

RACCA

Post  RACCA on Wed 16 Oct 2013 - 0:08

rrrrr wrote:take no notice rob 1984 they are all winding you up youll love the job
    holidays when you want,no stress,no pressure,as much overtime as you want
    plenty of weekends off and shifts to suit you monies fab too !!!!!!!!!!
    i personally took voluntary redundancy last year dont know why ive regretted every day since

bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum hide 

NOT
    If carlsberg did job discriptions hide slap 

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 3:30