Roadside patrols

*********Hi Welcome to Roadside Patrol Forums*********

Welcome to the Rac Patrol Forum, we are a forum run by Rac Patrols for Rac Patrols, we have no ties with the company and are totally independent from all.

To gain full access to the forum you will first need to send a PM to the Admin, instructions on how to do this is in the first post in the welcome section.

We look forward to seeing you on the forum.

Thank you

Forum for RAC Staff

: RAC

WANT TO JOIN THE FORUM? THEN PM ME (ADMIN) FOR A SECURITY QUESTION ONLY ONCE YOU ANSWER THIS DO YOU GET FULL ACCESS TO THE RAC STAFF SECTIONS

Thinking of working for the RAC

charlierich

Thinking of working for the RAC

Post  charlierich on Sun 3 May 2015 - 11:27

Hi guys

So sorry for gatecrashing your forum but I am after some honest opnions and advice.

My husband has an assessment day next week to potentially join the RAC as Roadside Patrol. Currently he is 9-5 Monday to Friday but shift work is quite appealing to him. However, how far in advance is the rota set as we would like to plan ahead around his shifts? How many weekends do you work before you have a weekend off?

Typically how many hours a week do you work and what is the average shift length? Are the shifts set like 6am-2pm, 9am-6pm, 2pm-11pm or can it literally being anything?

His main bug bear at the moment with his current employer is booking time off for holidays. It is a real struggle and is often refused. What is this like with the RAC?

With regards to the work, are you expected to sell add-ons at every job? Are there strict targets or is it fairly relaxed? How safe is the job, my worry as his wife is the potential for serious injury working on the hardshoulder of the motorway etc!

Any advice on what to expect from the assessment day would be really aprricated along with any other comments good or bad.

Thank you for taking time to read this and I hope you don't mind me posting.
    henry

Re: Thinking of working for the RAC

Post  henry on Sun 3 May 2015 - 13:54

We get a yearly roster,working weekends 2 on 1 off, roughly 30 to 33 weekends a year we work,time of is very hard to get,and pressure to sell stuff,hope that's some help to you
    Marigold

Post  Marigold on Mon 4 May 2015 - 6:43

The basic roster is set for the year ( April  - March, roughly ), and amended with overtime on a monthly basis, with a weekly top-up, and the possibility of more overtime offered the day before, or even a couple of hours before we are due to start a shift.  To call it a "fluid arrangement" would be an understatement !!  
    The pay for overtime varies according to the notice given to work - the closer to the time, the more we get, and there is an incentive to commit to a small number of weekend shifts per year as well, on top of what is initially rostered.
    With new starters, there may be a clause to offer a "bank" of overtime hours, which the company can use to extend your rostered shifts at their discretion, I'm not certain on this.
    Depending on area, the shifts are between 6am, and midnight, as far as I am aware ( confirm at assessment centre ), and the minimum shift length is 7 hours, max 10, plus overtime to take it up to 12. Minimum overtime on an overtime shift is 5 hours.
    There is an "expectation" to "successfully offer" our services to members, where appropriate, and this appears to bother some people more than others.
    As for safety, the training in this area is good, although once out on the road, there are some in the despatch team that think they know better than we do - easily dealt with.
    The bottom line is that if you are productive, do a fair bit of overtime, and meet your targets, there is good money to be made, at the possible expense of a balanced home life.
    The biggest concern I see him having is that we DO struggle to get leave granted. We are fine if we request time that suits the company, but there are a lot of times through the year, especially for for those patrols with kids, where the leave allocation is taken from very early on in the roster year, and unless we can get someone to swap a shift with us, or cover it on overtime, we get declined.
    I've been here a long time, and been able to adapt fairly well, but if you read some of the posts on here, you will realise not everyone feels the same. I would recommend he track down an actual patrol in the area you live, if possible, and ask him 1 to 1 what he thinks.
    I have to say - I have no plans to go anywhere, which says it all, really.
    Good luck, I hope this proved useful.
    charlierich

Post  charlierich on Thu 7 May 2015 - 12:38

Thank you Henry and Marigold for taking the time to reply, your comments are both very useful.

He has had his assessment and it all went well, passed the test and he thought he did ok in the interview. Just waiting to find out now.

Time off was mentioned at the assessment day and it does appear to be the only sticking point and so it was interesting to read your comments Marigold on this.

Some tough decisions will have to be made if he gets offered the position...but we will cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

Thanks once again.
    arfardaley

Post  arfardaley on Thu 7 May 2015 - 14:13

I've been with the RAC for 18 yrs going on 19 now and know a lot of patrols. It is a good company and so long as you are prepared to be willing and flexible at times e.g. adverse weather conditions etc then the company will look after you.
    Recovery Driver.
    Copilots Copilot

Post  Copilots Copilot on Thu 7 May 2015 - 16:10

Leave is non existent at weekends, school holidays, Xmas or any other time that is important to most.. As is any training, training is manipulated into a "personal development day" which mostly incorporates a brain wash over figures and sales.. The only benefit for working for RAC in the last couple of years is the potential to earn money if you are willing to work exceptionally long and unsocial hours.. My advice to anyone is if you are comfortable in your current job, is not to bother, the grass is definitely not greener on this side of the fence...
    glow plug

Post  glow plug on Thu 7 May 2015 - 21:22

If you have a young family think long and hard as as others have said leave Xmas birthdays etc are very hard to get and they exspect you to arrange cover for the days you want off. Don't get me wrong it's a great job but if you let it it will bite you !
    charlierich

Post  charlierich on Fri 8 May 2015 - 12:22

Thank you once again for all of your responses.

Can I just clarify, is block leave (1 or 2 weeks) refused during any school holiday period in particular the 6 week summer holiday? If this is the case, I can't see how any family man could work for the RAC as you would never be able to go on holiday with your kids?
    henry

Post  henry on Fri 8 May 2015 - 12:38

charlierich wrote:Thank you once again for all of your responses.

Can I just clarify, is block leave (1 or 2 weeks) refused during any school holiday period in particular the 6 week summer holiday? If this is the case, I can't see how any family man could work for the RAC as you would never be able to go on holiday with your kids?
    2 weeks summer leave and you get 1 weeks leave in winter,patrols are sometimes told the 2 weeks leave in the summer have to be split 1week here 1 week there,also it depends on the size of the team you work in,some can only have 2 patrols of at one time some can have more,basically it's a lucky dip if you get your leave
    deadloss

Post  deadloss on Fri 8 May 2015 - 20:33

charlierich wrote:Thank you once again for all of your responses.

you have to also give notice of these dates a year in advance....they dont call this job the orange divorce for nothing.. you only get one weekend off in three and if you do try and get leave on any other weekend you have two hopes, bob hope and no hope....he really needs to try and speak to a couple of patrols where you live before you make up your minds..

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017 - 11:51