Roadside patrols

*********Hi Welcome to Roadside Patrol Forums*********

Welcome to the Rac Patrol Forum, we are a forum run by Rac Patrols for Rac Patrols, we have no ties with the company and are totally independent from all.

To gain full access to the forum you will first need to send a PM to the Admin, instructions on how to do this is in the first post in the welcome section.

We look forward to seeing you on the forum.

Thank you

Forum for RAC Staff

: RAC

WANT TO JOIN THE FORUM? THEN PM ME (ADMIN) FOR A SECURITY QUESTION ONLY ONCE YOU ANSWER THIS DO YOU GET FULL ACCESS TO THE RAC STAFF SECTIONS

Nearly A patrolman

NickM66

Nearly A patrolman

Post  NickM66 on Sun 18 Feb 2018 - 21:04

Hi everyone,

Last week I sat the final part of the recruitment process for a patrol job. I had my CV passed, passed the online test and attended the assessment at Stretford. On the day of the assessment the 9 other attendees and I were explained the role and shifts etc and sat the assessment test - at the end of it my name was called out and I was the only person in the group to pass and I was then ushered through for an interview.

I felt the interview went reasonably well and I appeared to satisfy the interviewer with the questions on the RAC history and a couple of customer type scenarios but I struggled a bit with examples of the competences for making decisions. Having been a garage owner and self employed for the last 7 years I was told it may be difficult as it would be the norm and a day to day occurrance for a lot of the examples I could give, which is true.

The other day I received an email advising me that I had not been successful and when I asked for feedback they stated my competency based interview answers were not strong enough....gutted is a word that springs to mind

However, does anyone know if they keep your details on file and possibly give you a 2nd opportunity as per the speil they give in the talks before the tests? Would I have a chance of reapplying or just waiting for them to get back in touch as it is something I really really would like to do
    NickM66

Re: Nearly A patrolman

Post  NickM66 on Sun 18 Feb 2018 - 21:09

just as an addendum, I am in a similar position with the AA as I have so far passed all of their test and in addition a telephone interview and I am just awaiting the assessment centre part, however I would prefer to work for the RAC as I believe it to be more true to the role of providing a fix rather than a tow and that ethic is more in line with my nature
    Orange Rep

Post  Orange Rep on Sun 18 Feb 2018 - 23:05

NickM66 wrote:Hi everyone,

Last week I sat the final part of the recruitment process for a patrol job.  I had my CV passed, passed the online test and attended the assessment at Stretford.  On the day of the assessment the 9 other attendees and I were explained the role and shifts etc and sat the assessment test - at the end of it my name was called out and I was the only person in the group to pass and I was then ushered through for an interview.

I felt the interview went reasonably well and I appeared to satisfy the interviewer with the questions on the RAC history and a couple of customer type scenarios but I struggled a bit with examples of the competences for making decisions.  Having been a garage owner and self employed for the last 7 years I was told it may be difficult as it would be the norm and a day to day occurrance for a lot of the examples I could give, which is true.

The other day I received an email advising me that I had not been successful and when I asked for feedback they stated my competency based interview answers were not strong enough....gutted is a word that springs to mind

However, does anyone know if they keep your details on file and possibly give you a 2nd opportunity as per the speil they give in the talks before the tests?  Would I have a chance of reapplying or just waiting for them to get back in touch as it is something I really really would like to do

They keep your name on file
    kyloeman

Post  kyloeman on Sun 18 Feb 2018 - 23:29

My advice is give  the rac a call and ask to be re assess, on their next selection day (what have you got to loose)   been a patrol  26 years,  if you truly want to be a patrol  and have the right technical skill and good attitude, you`l get your patrol job, so dont give up ,  a lot of the role play and technical assessment, do not really reflective real life out there on the road, it just a hurdle you need to clear   -   good luck   and get phoning back in
    NickM66

Post  NickM66 on Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 17:23

Thanks for that Kyloeman, I shall give it a try - been a mechanic for 30 years, the last 7 running my own garage so technical ability and customer service is obviously not an issue - passing a competancy based interview after not doing any interviews for 30 years is not my strong point
    kyloeman

Post  kyloeman on Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 19:02

the best advice i could pass onto you  is this,   the competencies  they will be looking for is that you can think on your feet,  ie  take charge of the situation at roadside with emphasis on safety (parking your van to protect the scene etc), thereafter the role in its simplest form is to provide a roadside solution to get the customer going again, be it a temporary fix, permanent fix with parts from van stock, or sour]ced from a rac preferred supplier,  or if not repairable offer the rac approved garage scheme network  if customer agrees then  either follow customer there, tow them there or arrange to have vehicle recovered if non tow able.  In a nutshell that`s the core role  however, as all patrols know    its not that simple  ...   as you are under pressure with  work time for starters  so be under no illusion the job can be challenging     good luck
    NickM66

Post  NickM66 on Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 23:12

well to just give some insight the competency questions were - " Can you tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision....... " and can you tell me about a situation where you " influenced someone in to accepting your agreement or behavioural change" and bear in mind I wasn't allowed to use any aspect regarding the fact I ws the company owner of a garage business. I had prepared some answers as a garage owner but was not prepared for answers that were not as a garage owner - I did feel as though I was at a disadvantage despite being overly qualified for the role, it felt like I was being made to be conformative into a specific position - one of the statements was that I would have to cease being self employed as there was a conflict of interests - I thought that was obvious as I was seeking employment.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 23:36

Overly qualified for the role?

I started out with nothing and still got most of it left.

Running
    Copilots Copilot

Post  Copilots Copilot on Tue 20 Feb 2018 - 10:15

Over qualified lol.. Maybe they thought you'd fix too much and not sell enough parts.. Nowadays RAC and AA are more likely to recruit from car sales than workshop.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Jul 2018 - 3:14