Roadside patrols

*********Hi Welcome to Roadside Patrol Forums*********

Welcome to the Rac Patrol Forum, we are a forum run by Rac Patrols for Rac Patrols, we have no ties with the company and are totally independent from all.

To gain full access to the forum you will first need to send a PM to the Admin, instructions on how to do this is in the first post in the welcome section.

We look forward to seeing you on the forum.

Thank you

Roadside patrols

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for RAC Staff

RAC

WANT TO JOIN THE FORUM? THEN PM ADMIN......FOR RAC STAFF ONLY

Thinking about joining as a patrol

jon7968
    jon7968

Thinking about joining as a patrol Empty Thinking about joining as a patrol

Post  jon7968 on Sun 5 Apr 2020 - 18:23

Afternoon all, recently been thinking about applying for a patrol job , currently work in a garage and have done since i left school so 27 years , my current job pays around 33K basic and i have to cover call out 7 days a month, that brings it to around 36K a year , no weekends but i can be called out 24/7 of that weeks call out .

Im interested in gaining your opinions on the job , i have a friend whos brother in law works as a patrol so trying to organise a chat with him but looking for as many opinions as possible.

Thanks in advance
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Thinking about joining as a patrol Empty Re: Thinking about joining as a patrol

Post  Admin on Mon 6 Apr 2020 - 15:01

It's marmite you either love it or hate it.
    You work long hours and it's shifts so weekends, evenings, public and bank holidays. If your OK with that then so far so good.
    The actual job isn't demanding.
    It's a people job more than a technical job
    I enjoy it but a lot don't... Like I say marmite...
    I wouldn't expect much to happen for the forseable future due to covid19.

I started out with nothing and still got most of it left.

Running
    jon7968
    jon7968

Post  jon7968 on Mon 6 Apr 2020 - 18:08

Admin wrote:It's marmite you either love it or hate it.
    You work long hours and it's shifts so weekends, evenings, public and bank holidays. If your OK with that then so far so good.

Thanks for the response , i assume the jobs isnt for example 40 hours a week then , even over shifts ?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Mon 6 Apr 2020 - 19:55

jon7968 wrote:
    Admin wrote:It's marmite you either love it or hate it.

Thanks for the response , i assume the jobs isnt for example 40 hours a week then , even over shifts ?

LOL it's definitely not 40hrs a week. Overtime is expected and mostly unavoidable but even without 50-60 hrs is more like it.... I will point out tho that includes leaving home and returning home as your shift starts and finishes at your home.

Running
    jon7968
    jon7968

Post  jon7968 on Tue 7 Apr 2020 - 7:56

Admin wrote:

LOL it's definitely not 40hrs a week. Overtime is expected and mostly unavoidable but even without  50-60 hrs is more like it.... I will point out tho that includes leaving home and returning home as your shift starts and finishes at your home.

Thanks , what sort of days off do you get , is it 6 on 3 off or totally random
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Tue 7 Apr 2020 - 8:30

jon7968 wrote:
    Admin wrote:

LOL it's definitely not 40hrs a week. Overtime is expected and mostly unavoidable but even without  50-60 hrs is more like it.... I will point out tho that includes leaving home and returning home as your shift starts and finishes at your home.

Averages out about 4 on 2 off you get an annual roster and it looks random... Feels random....

Thanks , what sort of days off do you get , is it 6 on 3 off or totally random

Running
    Justam69
    Justam69

Post  Justam69 on Tue 7 Apr 2020 - 10:04

Most patrols love doing the job !! Helping and fixing cars and people’s problems 👍

But nearly all hate the Company, management and what they stand for and how they run it !! 👎

Sad times at the minute with covid19 so I guess everything’s on hold mate of mine has had the sad news that recruiting has been delayed/postponed .

Tough choices ahead so take all the time you need to make the right decision for you and your family .

jon7968
    jon7968

Post  jon7968 on Tue 7 Apr 2020 - 13:26

Thanks to you both for taking the time to respond , my jobs not bad ,40 hours a week , pays ok just feel like I want more out of my job , some variety etc .
    My kids are grown up and the wife works odd shifts anyway inc most weekends , I'm amble to speak to a current rac patrol so will be contacting him this week to have a chat .
    Justam69
    Justam69

Post  Justam69 on Tue 7 Apr 2020 - 16:14

jon7968 wrote:Thanks to you both for taking the time to respond , my jobs not bad ,40 hours a week , pays ok just feel like I want more out of my job , some variety etc .
    My kids are grown up and the wife works odd shifts anyway inc most weekends , I'm amble to speak to a current rac patrol so will be contacting him this week to have a chat .

Yes mate do that ! Keep up to date on current things !

So many changes even in the time I’ve been here ! And most not for the good either 🤷‍� Not the job it was but things have to move with the times !

Try and chat to a few patrols as you’ll get a better balance 👍
    jon7968
    jon7968

Post  jon7968 on Tue 7 Apr 2020 - 22:08

Appreciate you both taking time to reply to me , will have a word with as many patrols as i can , all the reviews are people moaning but i find that with most things when you ask opinions.

Thanks again

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 2 Dec 2020 - 8:49